Monday, April 14, 2014

Honey for Your Soul

We could all choose to wake up and smile at the first person we come across that day.  Maybe even go so far as to say something kind to them. Or maybe not.  Maybe, instead we could ignore them, or snap at them for something.  After all, there is nothing quite like starting someone else's day off on the wrong foot.  Why should we have to be nice during the first part of our day?

We could all choose to smile at everyone we see in the grocery store. Or maybe not.  Maybe, instead, we could keep our head to our store list and ignore everyone who walks by.  After all, grocery shopping is a total pain and it takes up so much of our valuable time.  Why should we have to waste extra time stopping to smile or talk to someone?

We could all choose to smile as we pass by folks on our walk, or our run or at the gym.  Or maybe not. Maybe, instead, we should keep our earphones on and only stay plugged into our own little world.  After all, exercise is soooooo difficult, and again, just something we really have to make time for.  Why should we have to take time from our important ritual to even offer up a smile to someone?

Proverbs 16:24 courtesy of (in)courage

Ever since I posted this image on our Hills of Mercy Facebook page the other day, I just haven't been able to get this verse out of my head! (Not that I want to!)

The Yankee has a cousin I adore, even though we have never, ever been able to spend any time together one and one and I believe we have only met once.  She is the epitome of kindness and often enjoys mailing me things out of the blue.  One day she sent me this magnet that holds a prominent spot on our frig.

Photo courtesy of my frig:)


I don't know about you, but it is an AMAZING fact to me when I stop and think that I actually have the power to make or break someones day with kindness.  Let me repeat that in case it didn't sink in, YOU AND I HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE OR BREAK SOMEONES DAY.  And, it is, of course, a CHOICE!

You can choose to smile or choose to look frustrated.

You can choose to be engaged in other's lives, or you can choose the cruelest of cruelty.....indifference (yikes, a whole other blog, that nasty word!).

You can choose to gripe or choose turn the other cheek.  (I am a firm believer, being a recovering griper myself, that planting your feet in the ground and being sure that other person knows you disagree with them is a selfish act showing the world that you are convinced someone has offended YOU once again, and, well, how DARE THEY offend you, so, by golly, you are going to be sure you tell them about it!). Have you ever met that person (or knew the old me?) the one that just had to tell you if they didn't agree with every single thing you did?  The one that HAD to point out if your way wasn't their way because, well, their way is just flat out better than your way and they are going to be certain to let you know it.

I have a dear friend here who has only known me in my "after" mode, that is, "after accepting Christ".  One day we were talking about someone asking me for forgiveness and she said she couldn't imagine me ever not forgiving anyone, because, as she put it, I let people walk all over me and then turn around and smile at them and invite them into my house.  While it might be a perception that I would allow someone to walk all over me, the fact is, I am making a choice.  It is easier for me to walk away than to retaliate and try to bring someone down in the same manner they may be trying to bring me down. And furthermore, I feel bad for the gripers, not only because I am a recovering one myself and understand the misery of living there, but because I see their sadness and the anger that bubbles underneath indicates that, just maybe, they are not living fully where Christ is trying to get them to live. 

So I try (and often fail) to choose honey or a smile or a kind word or a hug.  Because it's easier.  Because it is what Christ would do.  Because I would rather make someone else feel joyful and light than burden their day with my own frustrations.  I can take those to the Lord, I don't need to place them back on the person I feel has offended me!

1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you


Who can you smile at today? Who can use a kind word? A hug? I say anybody and everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment